Puerto Rico cancels Juvenile correctional center PPP project

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Puerto Rico cancels Juvenile correctional center PPP project

The Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnerships Authority announced last week that the New Beginnings Juvenile Facility P3 Project, also known as "Nuevo Comienzo," will not proceed to the Request for Proposals stage.

This decision was made after the Puerto Rico Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation asked the P3 Authority to halt the project first proposed by the Luis Fortuño administration 18 months ago.

Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation conducted a review and analysis of the project, concluding it would not be necessary after adopting a new public policy with respect to the maximum size of its correctional facilities for juvenile offenders. Compliance with the consent decree does not require the construction of the project, the P3 Authority said in a statement issued last week.

In May 2012, the P3 Authority announced that the project had drawn 11 proposals from local and international interested consortiums. The government had shortlisted 4 consortia:

The P3 Authority said in a statement:

"The Authority reiterates that this administration is committed to the delivery of new infrastructure projects using public-private partnerships. The Authority has recently awarded contracts for financial advisory services for two correctional facilities and for the Caguas commuter rail project and expects to engage other advisory services in the near future."

List of country news

Country news

  • September 25, 2013

    Puerto Rico launches RFQ for schools P3 project

    The Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnerships Authority has released a Request for Qualifications for the construction and conservation services related to the second phase of the School Modernization Program in Puerto Rico, known as Escuelas de Primera. Read more
  • January 30, 2014

    Puerto Rico chooses winner for school PPP project

    On December 27th 2013, the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnerships Authority selected Quality Construction Services  as a preferred bidder for the construction and conservation services of the El Pino school in Villalba. Read more
  • February 05, 2014

    Abertis becomes the majority shareholder in Puerto Rico highway P3

    Abertis has acquired 6% of the Autopistas Metropolitanas de Puerto Rico, LLC (Metropistas) from the investment funds managed by Goldman Sachs, GS Global Infrastructure Partners II L.P. and GS International Infrastructure Partners II L.P., for US $43.6 million (€32.2 million). Read more
  • May 13, 2014

    Puerto Rico tenders fuel storage lease

    Puerto Rico's Local Redevelopment Authority for Roosevelt Roads (LRA) has published a Request for Proposals (RFP) to develop fuel storage facilities in Roosevelt Roads through a lease agreement. Read more
  • September 15, 2014

    Puerto Rico launches RFI for port lease

    The Port of Ponce Authority (PPA), Read more

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.