Metro Pacific Investments to avoid Swiss Challenge for NLEX-SLEX road

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Metro Pacific Investments to avoid Swiss Challenge for NLEX-SLEX road

Metro Pacific Investments (MPIC), which submitted an unsolicited proposal for the NLEX-SLEX connector road project months ago, has sealed a deal with state-run Philippine National Construction Corp. (PNCC) where the state-run firm will get a 6 % share in gross revenues and will maintain its 2.5 % equity in the project.

Manila North Tollways Corp. (MNTC), MPIC's subsidiary and concessionaire of the NLEX road, signed the deal. The company proposed to build the highway for P22.95 billion (US$520 million).

Christopher Lizo, Metro Pacific Tollways Corp chief financial officer, said:

MNTC signed an agreement with PNCC . The agreement is that the connector road will be done under MNTC and the terms of the agreement is substantially the same as the terms of the existing concession of NLEX now.

Since the proposal is unsolicited, government rules require that the offer be subject to a Swiss challenge. To go around this requirement, Metro Pacific Investments and PNCC amended the scope of an existing Supplemental Toll Operations Agreement (STOA) to include the NLEX-SLEX Connector Road.

Mr. Lizo said that they were opened to bring in a private financial partner to fund equity for the project. He said the project had attracted "a lot of interest" from local and foreign firms. He mentioned that the Japanese expressway operators were the original partners here, but the process took too long.

The project involves the construction of a 13.4 km. 4-lane elevated expressway over the Philippine National Railway (PNR) right of way which starts at Caloocan City and ends in Buendia, Makati City. It will connect North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) and South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) to decongest traffic in Metro Manila.

Expected completion date of the project is on June 2016, or before the end of the term of President Benigno S. Aquino III.

List of country news

Country news

  • December 16, 2013

    Globalvia shows interest in bidding for Manila LRT expansion project

    The Department of Transportation and Communications, has announced that four companies have expressed interest in bidding for Manila LTR Line 1 extension through a PPP project. Globalvia, the Spanish concessions arm of FCC and Bankia, has been one of the firms that has bought so far tender documents for the project. Read more
  • January 02, 2014

    Philippines launches tender for integrated terminal through PPP

    The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) has just commenced bidding for the construction of the Integrated Transport System (ITS) for the Cavite Southwest Terminal in the Philippines. Read more
  • January 10, 2014

    Rebel Group to advise for airport PPP project in the Philippines

    . Read more
  • February 03, 2014

    Philippines awards ticketing PPP project

    The Philippine Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) awarded on Friday the first of its many projects under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) program to a joint venture led by the Ayala and Metro Pacific groups last Thursday, 30 January 2014. Read more
  • February 07, 2014

    Government sued for Philippine Orthopedic hospital PPP

    . Read more

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.