Megawide wins Philippine Orthopedic hospital PPP

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Megawide wins Philippine Orthopedic hospital PPP

The Philippine consortium formed by Megawide Construction Corp. and World Citi Inc. has been declared the winner for the new Philippine Orthopedic Center (POC) PPP project.

The consortium bid P5.672 billion (US$131 million) for the project, which the government had said would cost P5.7 billion (US$131.5 million). The consortium was the only bidder for the project.

The POC project involves the increase in bed capacity from the current 300 beds to 700 beds, the modernized POC will require a total of 1,575 staff from its present 927 staff or a hefty 70% increase in employment.

With the contract already awarded, construction work on the new POC site at the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI) Compound in East Avenue is targeted to start on the second half of 2014.

Health Undersecretary and Bids and Awards Committee Chair Teodoro Herbosa reiterated that while the project was already awarded to the private sector who will design, build, finance and operate and maintain the facility, for 25 years, government still retains ownership of the POC.

Teodoro Herbosa said:

The POC will remain a government agency but now with access to extensive financial and technologically-advanced resources provided by the private sector. This is the advantage of structuring this project under a PPP arrangement. Government is partnering with Megawide-World Citi Consortium for 25 years which is the agreed concession period. During that time they will maintain and operate the POC.  This gives government more fiscal space to fund other health projects. The DOH will make sure that they will deliver the agreed superior medical services that we asked of them and bring these medical benefits down to the neediest patient

List of country news

Country news

  • December 13, 2013

    AF consortium to win Manila's train ticket PPP

    The AF Consortium, composed of Ayala Corporation and Metro Pacific Investments, has submitted the lowest bid for the Automatic Fare Collection System (AFCS) project of the Philippine Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC). AF will pay the government P1.088 billion (US$24.6 million) beating two other bidders. Read more
  • December 16, 2013

    Metro Pacific Investments to avoid Swiss Challenge for NLEX-SLEX road

    Metro Pacific Investments (MPIC), which submitted an unsolicited proposal for the NLEX-SLEX connector road project months ago, has sealed a deal with state-run Philippine National Construction Corp. (PNCC) where the state-run firm will get a 6 % share in gross revenues and will maintain its 2.5 % equity in the project. Read more
  • December 16, 2013

    Globalvia shows interest in bidding for Manila LRT expansion project

    The Department of Transportation and Communications, has announced that four companies have expressed interest in bidding for Manila LTR Line 1 extension through a PPP project. Globalvia, the Spanish concessions arm of FCC and Bankia, has been one of the firms that has bought so far tender documents for the project. Read more
  • January 02, 2014

    Philippines launches tender for integrated terminal through PPP

    The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) has just commenced bidding for the construction of the Integrated Transport System (ITS) for the Cavite Southwest Terminal in the Philippines. Read more
  • January 10, 2014

    Rebel Group to advise for airport PPP project in the Philippines

    . Read more

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.